Questions from a Software Vendor
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

johnpostava

USA
35 Posts

Posted - 11/13/2002 :  07:49:50  Show Profile
SIMSOL just retained one of our flagship accounts after a down and dirty battle between vendors (i.e. price, training costs, blah, blah, blah). After we were told we were successful in retaining the account, the VP of claims told me that it came down to the group not seeing any "real differences" between SIMSOL and the other programs and they saw no benefits to changing and retraining all their adjusters. I was happy to retain the account but that statement got me thinking...

What "big thing" do you see any of us (software vendors) doing to our estimating/adjusting softwares to blow the socks off of savvy, computer estimating users. Many CADO users are the most computer-literate adjusters currently handling claims. What would make YOU consider using another estimating/adjusting software that you are currently not using (assuming you were free to use any system)?

Please don't respond with "simple to use" or "makes me money" - those reasons are a given. What I am looking for are program abilities, features and functions. Also, we all like the programs we are using now and everyone has a favorite. I am not looking for features found in any current system. I am looking for features that do not currently exist in ANY program.

Put on your thinking caps and come up with some do-zies!

hail_razor

USA
6 Posts

Posted - 11/14/2002 :  09:36:02  Show Profile
John,
I have used several of the top estimating programs in the last couple of years and must say that Simsol and IntegraClaim have to be the top two. I really see no features that are missing from either. The reports are there in both and both give you the ability to customize your reports according to carrier/IA specifics. Creating estimates in both programs is pretty simple once you get used to the different layouts and platforms. Unlike other estimating systems, everything is included. Drawing diagrams and preparing photos are all made simple unlike xactimate. I know several adjusters who use different programs for diagrams and photos. The one thing I really like about simsol is the ability to create single PDF documents or combined PDFs. You can email all your enclosures easily, just as you can export and import without a problem. I think most adjusters would almost use any program that was required of them as long as they get the claims. Everyone that I know in the field has switched and used numerous types of software depending on who they work for. Being well rounded and having knowledge of more than one system will always be a benefit to todays adjuster.
Go to Top of Page

Gale

USA
231 Posts

Posted - 11/20/2002 :  23:28:49  Show Profile
John I think the client you mentioned hit the nail on the head. All of the adjusting software on the market works fine in the mind of most of it users and they associate more pain than gain from switching. In fact most would rather fight than switch. Going up against another software vendor with a carrier/adjusting firm that is not pissed at its current vendor is not the best use of a sales force. Even if they are pissed the odds are less than 50/50 they will leave the current vendor and face the wrath of the adjusters that do not want to learn another package. Thank God for the carriers that are still handwriting but even that is not a piece of cake.

Being able to find items in the database by just thinking about them would be an app that new users would like and perhaps the old would be willing to switch to as well if they did not know the line item names well enough to just start typing in the item name until in popped up. Yes this is a pipe dream today but surely there is a better way for the new user of a software package, a new adjuster or clerical staff working as a telephone adjuster to find items in the database when they do not know what they are really looking for, maybe multiple choices would be great. After all today you can find about anything you want in a web search and very quickly.

Go to any adjuster conference and you will see there will soon be many new adjusters in the industry. These new guys and gals will not have grown up on the family farm or working in the family business since they were able to walk. They will not know the difference between a roof jack and bumper jack because they have seen neither. Adjusting wizards and beyond may be required to make this group productive even at the new pay scale in the industry. Times are changing but what about those of us currently in the industry? Adjusting is not a dying industry but those that adjust are dying. How adjusting is done is changing or do you disagree? As we drift more towards becoming a third world country will not our incomes become more third world like?

John has raised a very good question and is in the position to do something for the industry that has not yet been done. After all he has freed you from having to remember codes. Try to think of some feature that is not in estimating software today. If you don’t the developers will come up with some new features that may be as worthless as these bumps on the belly of a bore hog yet your new and young claims manager will fall for the sales pitch and you will wind up using these worthless features. It has happened in the past, right? Think outside of the box. Today’s pipe dreams can become tomorrow’s reality.
Go to Top of Page

Newt

USA
657 Posts

Posted - 11/27/2002 :  05:51:19  Show Profile
Being one of those new, in training adjusters, I cannot think of anything more important than the ability to edit. Some of the software is dificult in that respect. All of the sketch programs are ok, some are difficult.
I am not as computer software literate as I would like to be, however I am fairly literate in hardware. Hard as I may try, the programs are difficult for me and thats just the nature of my makeup, I have always been a narrow minded technical type. I have built TV studio consoles,Control Tower Consoles and other systems that after one or two days an operator could come in and work circles around me. I am not a very good at controling information associated with the hardware. I am painfully slow at typing and I have practiced. The problem seems to be in my trying to be too precise in the mechanical side and inability to focus on the purpose of the task. Thats called a one track mind. This is a problem with many people that are to some degree made up like myself. All one can do is work harder at it, you will never be worth a damn at it so don't blame the software.
I would say to those folks like myself, don't beat yourself up and don't find fault. You have to just continue doing the dance like no one is watching.
Go to Top of Page

ChuckDeaton

USA
373 Posts

Posted - 11/29/2002 :  17:31:20  Show Profile
I would like to see a string search feature. When I type "sheetrock" in the search block I would like to be able to hit "enter" and have the progam go to "sheetrock". Google and my data base do it.
Go to Top of Page

Craft

USA
6 Posts

Posted - 12/04/2002 :  15:16:07  Show Profile
The main problem that I find in all of the software that is availabe on the market in in the roof diagrams and the sketch modes. Maybe all the software vendors should look at some of the CADD programs out there and come up with a workable solution to the problems in these areas. I was a home builder for many years before I came into this business and have worked with many of the systems on the market today. One that might be of interest to the vendors is Cheif Architect. This program is not only user friendly but as you are sketching it will figure the material and price it for you if it set up right and take into account O&P, waste, labor, depreciation, and deductible if set up to do so. This is just one example of the programs out there today. Take the best of both construction and the adjusting industries and combine them.

Roger Craft
Go to Top of Page

katadj

USA
315 Posts

Posted - 12/05/2002 :  02:11:01  Show Profile
IMHO, there is a sorely lacking software consideration. That is, a line item difficulty factor. All projects are different and these differences cost money, either in materials, or labor or availability.

Can the software manufactures build in a additional % factor that will reflect the TRUE cost of removing and replacing an item?

Example: Remove and replace 12'x4' or 16'x4' sheetrock/drywall in a 24x 24 garage on the first floor, VS: cutting the material into 4'x4' pieces and carrying them to the third floor of a loss, or in the alternative, remove a window, use a boom truck to load the job and reinstall the window. (Don't forget to paint the window both sides and also replace the casing when you break it.)

This was a simple example, there are a myriad of things that can affect the true cost of a job. Material availability, work forces, amount of damages in the area, travel time (Job is 75 miles from anyplace), inspection requirements, permit acquisition, architectual and engineering requirements.

The software programs provide a local area pricing GUIDELINE. This is not set in stone as some adjusters and others seem to feel.

Consider the removal and replacing of materials that have to be hand carried or wheel barrowed 100-200 ft to the work location. Is that in the unit price? NO WAY. Consider removing and replacing plaster on a 12 ' ceiling over an antique parquet floor, is there a provision for that difficult work?

The thrust of this is to provide a true and accurate cost of the particular project, which would minimize re-opens, supplements, arguments, litigation and provide the insured party with an honest and complete scope of the required repairs.

Another useful item is the voice activation software, which is in use today on any windows based program, for file information input. Is it possible for this to be interfaced into the data fields of the programs?

The newer tablet PC's with touch screen capabilities, are time saving and can be used with many programs, MS/B being the easiest as their program is a basic point and click, and the tablet PC stylus is your mouse. The additional time in the loss will vary, but when you leave your night job is no longer there.

We "Cat adjusters" are always on the cutting edge of technological revolution, we have tools that no one else has, and we use them to provide an easier, more efficient way of completing our work. I venture that some of us have spent 10's of 1000's of our own funds to bring our trade into the future. There is always a better way, and we will find it before anyone else.

We should applaud those software manufacturers whom are willing to listen to the troops in the trenches. We ask, and if at all possible they will provide.

Having used almost every estimating software program produced, there are some differences which we have to abide in each. The ones that will prevail are those that can provide a comprehensive data base, have cost flexibility, have internet/intranet capabilities, and are affordable to those that depend on them for a living.

We all are aware of the future of the paper-less claim handling that many of the carriers and some vendors are expermenting with.

ONE OF THE MOST IMPORTANT AND SAVING GRACES FOR THE SOFTWARE MANUFACTURERS IS THEIR ABILITY TO UTILIZE THE INTERNET/INTRANET AND HAVE THEIR SYSTEMS WORK.

Edited by - katadj on 12/05/2002 02:27:52
Go to Top of Page

Cecelia

USA
25 Posts

Posted - 12/06/2002 :  07:22:23  Show Profile
I have been working with DDS lately. I used Xactimate exclusively before trying DDS. I am using the same "area" for prices in both systems. A minimum charge for roofing or drywall or insulation should be somewhat similar. In some cases there is over $100 difference in the 2 systems. I "write-in" the price I've been using for Xactimate to DDS. The DDS prices seem low to me for minimums. Just one very small example of the problem of writing an estimate in an amount for which the work can actually be performed.

From where are all these different databases procured? Obviously, not in the same place. Just reiterating the point in the last post that a program that reflects something closer to the ACTUAL cost would be good.
Go to Top of Page

johnpostava

USA
35 Posts

Posted - 12/12/2002 :  21:51:06  Show Profile
As of today a total of 499 adjusters have read my original post and only 7 have added a reply. This must mean that the other 92.5% are very satisfied with their program of choice (or demanded by the vendor). Surely there must me more new features adjusters want? Or parts of existing programs that can be improved upon? I will respond to those of you that did reply to my post individually (after I finish my holiday shopping). Thanks for the input but I sure would like to hear more!!
Go to Top of Page

jcc1138

12 Posts

Posted - 01/18/2003 :  19:56:56  Show Profile
I have tried Simsol, Blue Book, Vedders, Integra Claim, Boeckh 5.1 and I have found that each had certain good and bad points. I currently use Simsol, (2.3 SP4) and I like the system at the desk, but it is not the best in the field with a small screen. It is very nice with the PDF printing and the photo input on a single screen. I have found that the database is not good with large losses, but I have not found any system that will help with the HVAC, electrical and plumbing beyond the basics.

I would like to see something with the speed of Vedders and the info in R.S. Means. I would also like to have a text entry box where I could use the keyboard more than the mouse. Why can't we have some better shortcuts for the power users? I think that as professionals, we could move beyond the picture of the room and into advanced data entry. I feel like a glorified typist some days.
Go to Top of Page

guybeck

3 Posts

Posted - 05/13/2003 :  17:53:40  Show Profile
I saw the note lamenting the fact that few people answered what would we like to see in our property estimating software. I thought I would make a comprehensive reply since I have increased the stress in my life due to several of these programs.

I have used DDS, Best6 ,Powerclaim, Simsol(a long time ago), Exactimate. My problem with all of these systems is the increased time. Ask me what would be quicker, for me to have a simple ACCESS database to do hail and wind claims or to spend twice the amount of time with any of the systems above? Computers were supposed to make everything more efficient.

My issues of improvement:

1. Mouse clicks-way too many in most programs. Overuse of pop up windows. The concept of simplicity has been lost. Exactimate does understand that once you know the codes and have the macros, life can go pretty fast (until you get to the photos,reporting)
2. NOT CONCENTRATING ON ADJUSTERS CONCERNS: Every vendor for years kept talking about their contents database. Really, I could care less about a contents database. I could care less what a JVC TV from Best Buy costs when they have a Sony bought at Sears that isn't in the Best Buy database. I always felt that I could give them 20 other things to correct in their program before that. The programers focus on little marketing niches and not what we do 90% of the time.
3. No one has an accurate structural database. I find minimum charges to need some true research. There are HUGE differences in minimums between these companies. New adjusters rely way too much on these figures and can make new mistakes. Also you have companies that want you to explain ANY difference that you put in from the standard database entry.
4. PHOTOS-I could just about shoot the programmers at Exactimate for the 8-9 mouse clicks to bring in ONE photo. Here is an idea: Simply select all the files you want(Cntrl-A) to import, bring them in with one date entry, and have them show up as thumbnails in front of you and simply click below the photo to write a description. There is nothing I hate more than entering 20 dates on photos that were all taken at the same time. What is worse, is that adjuster put too few photos in the system because of what a pain it is. Is this really that difficult? I apologize to any vendor that may have already repaired this quirk. I have voiced my frustration to about every vendor.
5. DEPRECIATION-One of the Best was BEST6 software which could depreciate by trade and action. I miss that feature. Again, it was very quick.
6. RESPECT-I thank the people at Powerclaim for their time with me on the phone. Cannot say the same for ANY of the other competitors. We pay large sums of money and are treated like garbage. i.e. I couldn't get the program installed and a vendor wanted to charge me a consultation charge. Trust me; when my clients turn their backs on them(which they will due to pricing and lack of service) I will soon also be leaving. I had one company that SOLD me the system with a yearly (reasonable)update fee. I received an "update" that turned off the diagramming tools and I pointed out that the system did not even do 4 of the things they advertised. They then wanted me to pay for a new Upgrade fee with the promise that it would do 2 of them(still not the diagraming). What the heck! Or what about not being able to even bring up an appraisal that was already completed and you have now changed estimating systems. I paid a one month service fee to one vendor for a month use just to LOOK at two files. Thanks! We remember this stuff. Or ask me about the 450 contents line item in which when I changed the global tax setting it went back and CHANGED ALL of the entered line costs. The company admitted it was a strange quirk, but then patted themselves on the back when they sent me a fix three weeks later. I still had to re-enter the 450 entries. They actually had the gall to tell me that they were better than all their competitors because they fixed the problem so quickly.
7. Commercial database-Several systems are lacking a good database in this respect. This irks me because I have two different programs and neither help me in this regard.
8. Give me a software program that I can hand a disk to an insured in a large contents claim in which they simply use a PC to fill in the item type/age/cost and have them hand it back to me so that I can import it into the contents program. Now that may save me some time.
9. CRASHES/MATH ERRORS: Too many crashes. I won't name the worst offenders. I had one of the above programs that would sometimes have a few cent to a few dollars difference in ACV showing in the estimate versus the report. Now how the heck do you explain which one is right figure to the client. Where is the reliability in these programs. I have spent the last 11 years beta testing software and paying handsomely for it.
10. Diagraming tools-universally awful. End up using outside diagramming tools. It gets difficult when clients now want a completely e-mailed package. How about a program that you can hand draw and simply tell the system to straighten the lines. I was really excited to try the Sketch utility in Exactimate, until I started to use it.
11. Simplicity: My hats off again to the least expensive software of Powerclaim. Pretty much learned it in about an hour and a half. I currently have two active estimating systems and use powerclaim over the other unless my client demands its use. What does Powerclaim need? (Search function, true macros, better photo inputs, valuation function of more than one structure, DEPRECIATION by TRADE AND ACTION, less problematic database(i.e clean carpet at $.70/SF, e-mailing that tracks that the e-mail went to the client-log,saving multiple reports)
12. OVER-USE of GRAPHICS: DDS and pointing on a wall?? After a while all you use are macros or libraries, etc. I like exactimate that if you need ASSISTANCE you can pull it up. Less graphic reliance means more speed/less hang ups(memory requirements). I am about to go to a TABLET PC and am concerned.
13. ELECTRONIC FILES: More and more clients are looking for the e-mail alone. Therefore, if your diagramming is terrible, or photo inputting is terrible then we are forced to loathe one element of the program. I like powerclaims built in ability to save the entire file as an Acrobat file. The less we have to rely on separate photo software, separate diagraming the better.
14. PAPER WASTE: I try to complete everything in the field. I am currently staring at a three line estimate in Exactimate and a 5 page print out? Do I really need a room diagram for each room that shows a 12x12 room? Again, this wastes time and paper. I have abandoned the small portable printers because of the amount of paper that has to go through it.
15. MACROS-With the years of experience, why aren't there a ton of macros built in when you get a new install and just simply edit them? Is there any better tool for teaching a new adjuster so he doesn't miss anything? Macros need to be easy to make. I would also like to see some that will change as the database change and others that you can set not to be changed by a database update. Some macros are really bizarre. For instance, if I write the cost of an item and want it at a specific price(great in a CAT situation), the program may then use an area adjustment calculation on it and change what you just set.(frustrating)
16. TRAINING: If I have to pay someone to learn their system it is too complicated. A veteran adjuster should be able to pick up the system easily and mentor others on its use.
17. I like leaving homeowners with a breakdown that shows how to get ahold of me AND the staff adjuster(phone, fax, address). There are a couple programs that do not allow both my information and the full set of information of the inside staff adjuster. Therefore, my phone rings for every RCV depreciaiton withholding.
18. PRICING: Software vendors give breaks to the large insurance carriers, but hurt the little guys who do not need 100 licenses. Here is the kicker; I have to pay for two overpriced programs; because you gave that big carrier the discount. I was recently told that when I bought a program that if all of our offices go to their program that a deal would be cut on pricing. I then asked if I would be notified if we reach a certain number of offices and would they then cut past subscribers the same deal. She only worked in the sales department and could not tell me what will happen. Thanks!

Summary: I spend way too much time on work arounds to circumvent the quirks in every software vendors programs. The KISS methodology has been lost.
Go to Top of Page

Goodale69

1 Posts

Posted - 05/22/2003 :  00:41:11  Show Profile
Ditto above. I am going to use my local Big Bear Mountain estimating system. Here is my estimate: $10,000 to fix house. If you want a breakdown? $4,000 material, $4,000 labor and $2,000 profit. If the carrier doesn't like it, I'm going to begin looking for the P.A. support board. I started with Xactimate Dos and have gone downhill since.

P.S. So, could fire chasing be more difficult that inspecting a moss covered two-story wood shake roof?
Go to Top of Page

yumadj

USA
17 Posts

Posted - 06/22/2003 :  15:57:34  Show Profile
After a few years with DDS and a couple of years with Simsol, I have one question: Why cant I generate several building repair estimates without having to duplicate a file?
And the new Simsol which "locks" the old estimate in order to generate a supplement is worthless. I dont want my past estimates "locked".

Jeff Finley
Go to Top of Page

yumadj

USA
17 Posts

Posted - 06/22/2003 :  16:10:02  Show Profile
Did not mean to get too crabby about Simsol...their reporting macros are great. I can generate any kind of document, mulitiple reports and faxes...just great. And one clik photo mounting coupled with pdf makes it the best yet.

Query: Does adjuster xactimate have those little trade group add-ons at the end of an estimate like the contractors have? Dohhhh...I tell the contractors to just lop those puppies off.

Jeff Finley
Go to Top of Page

Linda

USA
127 Posts

Posted - 06/24/2003 :  12:22:01  Show Profile
What you may be telling them to "lop off" may be starving those puppies. Xactimate no longer calls "minimum charges" for what it actually costs to get, for example, an HVAC tech to make a service call. You can control those but why would you. Yes, it only costs a few cents per square foot to paint but it takes time to set up and clean up afterward. Don't be too hasty in removing them. We all need to remember that ALL these estimating programs are just that -- estimates.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
CatAdjuster.org Forum Archives © 2000-04 CatAdjuster.org - Adjuster to Adjuster Go To Top Of Page
From CADO to you in 0.16 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000